Moving? Tips to make the most of your DIY move
New jobs, initial jobs, relationships and hunting for a change in weather &ndash these are just a few reasons men and women have for moving. Most households move in the course of the warmer months, and numerous pick to move to warmer places.
&ldquoAtlanta is still the leading place to move to, and six other warm weather destinations support round out the top 10 moving destination list,&rdquo says Don Mikes, senior vice president of truck rental for Penske. &ldquoWe&rsquore seeing patterns in our 2012 consumer truck rentals of people moving south for more warmth and sunshine.&rdquo
Penske&rsquos best ten moving destinations for 2012 had been:
2. Dallas/Fort Worth
four. Orlando, Fla.
9. Charlotte, N.C.
ten. Sarasota, Fla.
If you are organizing a move to any state this year, Penske, which has been renting out moving trucks to do-it-yourselfers for more than 40 years, gives some guidance:
* For extended-distance moves, a moving truck is a must. But even if you’re just moving across town, renting a moving truck tends to make sense. Generating numerous trips can be exhausting – not to mention the gas you are going to use and the greenhouse gases your car will emit on numerous trips. Reserve your truck at least two weeks in advance of moving day &ndash Penske guarantees a truck for every reservation. A 12- or 16-foot truck works for moving a couple of massive things or the contents of a small condo or apartment. For guidance on bigger moves and which truck to select, check out www.PenskeTruckRental.com.
* Pack in increments. Start off early to avoid the anxiety of last-minute rushing. It is OK to leave a box open in case you need to have one thing you’ve packed inside it it really is significantly simpler to tape a box shut on moving day than it is to pack at the last moment.
* Purchase sturdy boxes in a variety of sizes, along with foam and bubble wrap to safeguard fragile items. You are going to also want a excellent provide of packing tape and markers for sealing and labeling boxes.
* Make confident you have moving blankets and hand trucks on moving day to make the approach less difficult.
* Purge ahead of packing. It really is considerably easier to throw away, donate, sell or give away items that you don’t want than it is to pack them and move them. As a rule of thumb, if you have not utilised something in the previous 12 months &ndash or it really is nonetheless packed in a box from the last time you moved &ndash you can possibly get rid of it.
* Label boxes as you pack. 1st, list the room that the contents belong in, and, if necessary, a few particulars such as “glass,” “fragile” or “dishes.” As you load the truck, try to hold boxes from each and every space grouped collectively.
* Load the heaviest products onto the truck very first to create a sturdy base, then commence stacking on leading.
* Moving trucks are taller, wider and heavier than the passenger cars you are utilised to driving. They need more distance to stop. Be further careful driving your moving truck, especially after it is loaded. Be conscious of low-hanging tree branches and building overhangs, and use caution when cornering. Park only in effectively-lit locations and keep the rear door padlocked and the passenger compartment doors locked.
Lastly, create a travel bag for moving day and preserve essential paperwork, credit cards, identification, a alter of clothes, beverages and snacks close at hand. You can locate a lot more moving tips at www.PenskeTruckRental.com.