Learn more about lupus and the search for answers
For these who are living with lupus, day-to-day activities can be a struggle and life can turn into inconsistent. Even though numerous individuals are experiencing debilitating symptoms, from the outdoors, several of those with lupus don&rsquot &ldquolook sick.&rdquo
Lupus, &ldquothe excellent imitator&rdquo as it is frequently called, disguises itself to appear like other conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, diabetes, Lyme disease, a variety of blood problems, a thyroid issue or any number of other heart, lung, muscle or bone illnesses. Simply because of this, lupus is frequently misdiagnosed.
Far more than 1 million individuals in the United States have lupus and these who realize their condition know the everyday struggles that come with possessing this illness. If you are unfamiliar with lupus, it&rsquos essential to discover the specifics of this devastating disease as effectively as the analysis currently underway to develop alternatives that are safe and powerful for folks with lupus.
* What is lupus? Lupus, otherwise identified as systemic lupus erythematosus, is a extended-term, autoimmune disorder that affects the skin, joints, kidneys, brain and other organ systems. Even though each and every patient experiences symptoms differently, symptoms such as extreme fatigue, headaches, fever, painful joints, anemia, chest pain, hair loss, abnormal blood clotting or other symptoms are widespread. These symptoms may possibly come and go and can change all through the course of the illness.
* Who is at danger for lupus? Lupus can affect any particular person at any age but it most typically affects women amongst the ages of 15 and 45. Moreover, African American, Hispanic and Asian females have a higher risk of creating lupus.
* How is it diagnosed? There is no single test to diagnose lupus. It may possibly take many months or even years for a physician to diagnose lupus. A range of laboratory tests are used to detect and monitor physical modifications or situations that might seem as a outcome of lupus. Each and every test aids physicians establish regardless of whether a lupus diagnosis is right.
* How is lupus treated? There at present is no remedy for lupus. In fact, more than the final 50 years only one particular medication has been authorized to treat this disease. Although several drugs exist that reduce the indicators and symptoms of lupus, these drugs carry side effects of their own, many of them critical, which includes damage to the body&rsquos organs with prolonged use. Remedy plans are designed to prevent and treat flares, the reoccurrence of symptoms, and also minimize organ damage.
* What is being accomplished to uncover future remedy alternatives? Physicians nationwide are participating in a clinical analysis study named the EMBODY Plan to assist advance lupus study. This worldwide clinical study study is being performed to assess the security and effectiveness of an investigational medication referred to as epratuzumab in men and women with lupus. Epratuzumab is becoming evaluated to see if it can support avoid the immune system from attacking healthier tissue, support decrease the level of inflammation and improve the symptoms connected with lupus.
* How can I find out much more about this study? To take component you have to be 18 years of age or older, diagnosed with lupus and not pregnant or nursing. You can learn more at rethinklupus.com or by calling 855-60-LUPUS.