Keep cool this summer with fun and flavorful frozen dessert recipes
As temperatures climb this summer, cool down with tasty and colorful frozen treat recipes for your next backyard barbecue or pool party. Offer everyone’s favorite summertime treats – ice cream, sherbet and sorbet – in unique and unexpected ways, such as in refreshing beverages, delicious cake bars or whimsical parfaits. Mold frozen ingredients into bite-size treats using melon ball scoops for mini ice cream sandwiches, or use ice cube trays to make mini-popsicles as mid-afternoon pick-me-ups.
Summer is also a great time to pair frozen treats with seasonal fruits like watermelon, berries and peaches. Present these ingredients within vibrant, layered parfaits or use the fruit shells to act as novel serving bowls. For a more decadent spin, combine the frozen ingredients with more traditional dessert elements such as graham cracker crusts, shortbread or fruit pie filling.
“There’s nothing more satisfying than a flavorful, chilled confection on a hot summer day,” says Stan Frankenthaler, Baskin-Robbins executive chef and vice president of innovation at Dunkin’ Brands. “Using a ready-made, frozen treat as a recipe base, then combining it with fresh, seasonal ingredients, is a quick and easy way to delight the taste buds of your friends and family, all while keeping them cool. Your guests will appreciate your creativity while they satisfy their sweet tooths.”
Watermelon Chip Sorbet Punch
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: Approximately 8 (3/4 cup) servings
* 1 small watermelon
* 2 cans of ginger ale
* 2 tablespoons lime juice
* 1 pint Baskin-Robbins Watermelon Chip Sorbet
1. Cut an oblong hole in the top of the watermelon. Scoop out the watermelon, remove seeds, and mash half of the watermelon, reserving its juice.
2. Mix the watermelon juice, lime juice and ginger ale together in a bowl.
3. Pour the punch into the hulled out watermelon shell to one inch below its rim. Use the remaining punch to refresh as needed.
4. Top with small scoops of Baskin-Robbins Watermelon Chip Sorbet, and garnish each glass of punch with an additional scoop of sorbet.
Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream Bars
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours, 30 minutes
Yield: 24 servings
* 1 3/4 cups shortbread cookie crumbs
* 7 tablespoons butter, softened
* 2 quarts Baskin-Robbins Blueberry Cheesecake ice cream, softened
* 1 jar (12 ounces) blueberry pie filling
1. In a bowl, combine the shortbread cookie crumbs and butter until well blended. Pat the mixture firmly and evenly into the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch pan or dish.
2. Spread the Baskin-Robbins Blueberry Cheesecake ice cream carefully over the crust.
3. Spread blueberry pie filling evenly over ice cream.
4. Freeze three hours or until firm.
5. Slice into squares and serve.