Flip-flop fans: Hard, cold facts about your favorite hot weather footwear
It&rsquos simple to understand why we all enjoy flip-flops: They&rsquore cute and comfy, keep your feet cool in warm climate, and are wonderful for displaying off that fab pedicure you just got. But no matter how significantly you adore your flip-flops, they shouldn&rsquot be all-occasion footwear. Often, they can lead to sore feet or even severe injury.
&ldquoFlip-flops are hugely well-liked, but it&rsquos crucial to bear in mind they&rsquore not suitable for daily put on or for all occasions,&rdquo says Dr. Matthew Garoufalis, a podiatrist and president of the American Podiatric Health-related Association. &ldquoEvery spring and summer time, podiatric offices see an influx of individuals with injuries and ailments directly associated to wearing flip-flops at the wrong time or wearing the incorrect flip-flops altogether.&rdquo
The secret to safely enjoying flip-flops via summer time is two-fold, Garoufalis says. First, discover the correct style, and second, know when to wear flip-flops and when to wear anything else.
How to pick flip-flops
Some types of flip-flops could cause blistering and discomfort, and increase your risk of injury in specific conditions. It is attainable to find a better flip-flop. The APMA gives some tips:
* Look for high-top quality, soft leather, which will reduce the danger of blisters and other skin irritations. Vinyl or rubber types are far more likely to rub your foot the incorrect way. Verify out the APMA internet site for footwear merchandise that have earned the organization&rsquos Seal of Acceptance. The seal indicates that a team of APMA podiatrists have evaluated the item to make sure it promotes standard foot function and overall health.
* Decide on a flip-flop with soles that bend at the ball of the foot. If you can bend the sole completely in half or wring it like a wet rag, the sole will not provide suitable support.
* The thong element of the flip-flop need to match comfortably, neither too loose nor also snug. Straps that are as well tight could rub and lead to blisters. Too loose straps may outcome in you losing the shoe at a crucial moment &ndash resulting in injury. Consider a flip-flop with further padding on the element of the strap that fits amongst your toes.
* Your foot need to match perfectly on the sole. Your heel should not hang off the back, nor your toes off the front.
* Dispose of worn flip-flips, no matter how much you loved them last year. Old shoes lose their ability to support and defend your feet, and it&rsquos straightforward to locate a new pair to replace old ones.
* Still not certain which flip-flop is the right choice? Begin with APMA Seal Accepted pairs at APMA.org/Seal.
When to put on flip-flops
A shoe style that was as soon as relegated to beach or poolside is now considered acceptable in a range of settings. It&rsquos not uncommon to see folks wearing flip-flops to the mall or grocery store, when they&rsquore out for a stroll, or even in the workplace. Flip-flops have even produced inroads into the bridal scene, with some comfort-minded brides wearing them for their weddings and receptions.
Deciding regardless of whether wearing flip-flops is socially proper for the occasion is up to you, but there are some occasions when you ought to not wear them for safety motives.
* When undertaking yard operate &ndash such as mowing the lawn or working in the garden &ndash it&rsquos very best to put on footwear that cover and protect your entire foot. Flip-flops don&rsquot provide adequate support or protection.
* For extended walks, opt for a excellent walking shoe. Even the sturdiest styles of flip-flops don&rsquot provide sufficient arch help and shock absorption for extended walking.
* Playing sports calls for the correct footwear. Choose a shoe that is designed for the sport you&rsquore playing. Flip-flops don&rsquot offer you sufficient assistance or protection for tough play and could come off your foot at a vital moment. They may drop you the game at best, and leave you with a foot or ankle injury at worst.
Ultimately, put away your flip-flops when the weather is undesirable. &ldquoThis a single may possibly seem obvious,&rdquo Garoufalis says, &ldquobut some men and women continue to put on their flip-flops even when the temperature drops, rain falls, or snow is on the ground. Wearing flip-flops in negative weather puts you at threat of injury if your foot slips out of a wet shoe or even frostbite if temperatures fall also low.&rdquo